S.H I.E.L.D. yourself AGAINST ALZHEIMERS
The S.h.i.e.l.d. technique
S: Sleep at least 8 hours
H: Handle Stress by taking a 10 min walk or mediate by sitting quietly, tracking the sound of your breath or repeating a wellness mantra.
I: Interact with others to strengthen the brain.
E: Exercise by doing 8,000-10,000 steps every day to grow new nerve cells.
L: Learn something new (the Luminosity app is free and fun) to strengthen new connections in nerve cells.
D: Diet to keep the body healthy.
Alzheimer's Fighting Superfoods
- Berries: strawberry, blueberries, raspberries (recipe below)
- Spices: turmeric, cinnamon, cocoa, nutmeg
- Omega 3's: nuts, flaxseed (whole or ground), fatty fish like salmon
- "Healthy" Cooking Oils: avocado oil, coconut oil, olive oil
- Leafy/Dark Greens: spinach, kale, romaine lettuce
- Kale can be bitter on its own, but when cooked or blended into a smoothie, it's hardly noticeable.
- 1 cup coconut powder (@ walmart for $0.92)
- 1/4 cup creme de coco
- 2-3 ice cubes
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup water add more if need
Add to blender, mix and enjoy OR add all to blender bottle and SHAKE WELL! You can also add berries or cocoa powder with ground flaxseed.
Kale or Spinach Smoothie
This smoothie is a copy cat recipe of the Kale Blazer by Naked, which is regularly sold in Walmart for $6.95 and thus, a lot cheaper to make for yourself at home. This one requires a bit of straining, which means possessing a metal strainer, nut bag, or cheesecloth, although if you don't mind a bit of extra fiber or have a high powered blender, it's not strictly necessary to go through straining everything. But if you want to make an extra silky smoothie, here's how!
- 6-8 kale leaves; blend with 1 cup water, then strain
- 10-12 spinach leaves; blend with 1 cup water strain, then add to kale
- Juice of 1 orange; squeeze orange, strain, then and add to above
- 1 cucumber; blend with 1 cup of water, then strain and add to above
- 1 stalk celery; blend with 1 cup of water, then strain and add to above
- 1 apple (chopped); blend with 1 cup of water, then strain, and add to above
MIX ALL ABOVE INGREDIENTS TOGETHER, let mixture settle and strain more, if desired.
*Vegetables can be consumed raw. Just wash well before blending!
- Add 1/4 cup of FRESH Ginger (peel, cut up, blend & strain) and/or lemon juice
- Leftover celery/veggies. make juice strain and freeze for next use
- Add more water or an extra teaspoon of coconut oil